Official full name Zolochiv castle
Founded in 1634-1636
The area of the castle is about 1,000 square meters. m
Uniqueness The Chinese palace of the Zolochiv castle is the oldest in Europe of the three existing ones.
It is worth paying attention to the Museum of Oriental Cultures in the Chinese Palace, which contains unique exhibits.
Schedule Valid from 10:00 to 17:00
On Sundays – from 12:00 o’clock to seven o’clock
Weekend is Monday.
Current state Planning-spatial structure of the castle, which was formed during the XVII century, without significant losses has survived to this day. A considerable part of the authentic architectural and plastic elements of the old structures erected in Renaissance stylistics also survived. Now the castle continues restoration work. The Chinese palace has already completely restored. Bring to the normal appearance of the Grand Palace and the castle yard, almost rebuilt ravelin.
Entrance fee / excursion Entrance to the castle – 5 UAH.
Entrance to the Museum of Oriental Cultures – 4 UAH.
Location Lviv region., Zolochiv district, Zolochev, vul. Zamkova, 3
Coordinates of GPS coordinates 49 ° 48’22 ” 24 ° 53’47”
Located on a low hill in the floodplain of the Zolochivka and Malinovka rivers, the stone Zolochiv castle was to serve as a defense and home. He was built in 1634-1636 by Jacob Sobieski, the father of Jan Sobieski, the King of Poland. It was a regular, bastion type castle, square with a planned configuration, with high ramparts and four cornerstones with guarded towers at the corners. On each tower were stoned stone plates with coats of arms of the Sobieski family: Janina, Gozdava, Ravin and Herburt. Earthen mounds of the castle (without casemates) were escarped with low masonry, and the whole complex of fortifications was enclosed with a deep moat. On the axis of the northern curtain was a two-tiered entrance tower with an arched passage and a portal with a head of a lion in a castle stone. At the entrance gate, led a bridge, thrown over the ditch.
In the castle yard, whose side reached 110 meters, along the western curtain was placed a two-storeyed rustic, at the corners of the palace with white stone fringing windows. From the opposite side of the palace there was a building of economic purpose. In the second half of the XVII century.
Zolochiv castle has repeatedly been subjected to Cossack, Tatar, Turkish assaults and sieges. In particular, the castle suffered considerable destruction in 1672 and 1675. Restoration work began in 1686 under the patronage of Jan III Sobieski. Obviously, at the extension of the axis of the entrance gate near the southern curtain, the so-called “Chinese palace” was erected. Planning-spatial structure of the castle, which was formed during the XVII century., Without significant losses, survived to this day. A considerable part of the authentic architectural and plastic elements of the old structures erected in Renaissance stylistics also survived. As a witness of historical events Zolochiv castle is a landmark of culture and defense architecture in the territory of Galician land.